#FoodFriday - Virtuoos protein-enriched brioche bread
Let's dive into the delightful world of this week’s brioche bread and its potential for fueling endurance athletes with an extra Virtuoos protein punch.
A Virtuoos protein-enriched brioche a bread so indulgent, so rich and so pillowy.
Now, the story of brioche isn't just a tale of flour, eggs, butter, and sugar mixed together. No, no, it's a story with a French culinary history. Legend has it that brioche was the brainchild of 15th-century French bakers who decided to elevate basic bread dough by adding extra eggs and butter, turning it into a delicacy fit for royalty.
But here's the exciting part: why should endurance athletes care about this buttery delight? Well, apart from its heavenly taste, brioche happens to be a fantastic source of carbohydrates. They're the fuel your body needs for those long runs or whatever endurance challenge you're tackling.
To take this bread to the next level for athletes, consider this: extra high-quality proteins from Virtuoos. Adding in proteins can be like giving your body an extra boost, especially for recovery. Suddenly, your humble brioche becomes a powerhouse of both carbs and muscle-friendly proteins.
Explore the Virtuoos website to discover the supplements used by athletes. All sports supplements from Virtuoos are equipped with the NZVT quality mark, ensuring that top athletes, like the NN Running Team runners, can use the supplements with complete peace of mind.
What A Virtuoos protein-enriched brioche bread
Why Normal bread contains little protein of its own. That enriched bread can contribute to a higher protein intake without you even realizing it.
How It's not a lot of work, less than 10 minutes of mixing and kneading. The waiting (proofing of the dough) takes overnight and 2 additional hours.
When For breakfast or lunch after your morning training, so you can continue the day with an appropriate dose of protein after your training.
400 gram flour
3 scoops Virtuoos vanilla protein powder
120 gram unsalted butter, room temperature
3 tablespoons sugar
7 gram active dry yeast
80 ml warm milk
Pinch of salt
Per slice assuming 12 slices per Protein Brioche
Energy (kcal) 262
Carbohydrates (g) 29
Protein (g) 9
Fat (g) 12
Saturated fat (g) 6
Fibre (g) 1
How to preapre
1. Mix the active dry yeast with warm water and a 1 tbs sugar in a cup. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it becomes frothy and activates.
2. Combine the flour, Virtuoos protein powder, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl
3. Crack the eggs into the well of the dry ingredients and add the activated yeast mixture. Gradually add the softened butter an mix the ingredients together with your hands or with a dough hook on low speed. Once combined, increase the speed to medium and knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
4. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let it rise overnight (or several hours) in the refrigerator.
5. Once the dough has modestly risen, you can shape the dough into desired forms and place it into a bread mold. Butter or grease the mold lightly before placing the dough. Place 8 dough pieces on the bottom of the bread mold, for an authentic brioche shape. Cover the molds again and allow it to rise for an additional 60 minutes in a warm, draft-free place.
6. Preheat your oven to 190°C. If desired, brush the brioche dough with an egg wash to achieve a shiny, golden crust. Bake the brioche in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until they're beautifully golden brown on top.
7. Once baked, transfer the brioche onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and enjoying!